customized product and material solutions for aerospace and power generation
SMC - New hartford
Aerospace Industry Recognition
Special Metals Corporation New Hartford and Dunkirk New York facilities are industry leaders in the production of premium quality nickel base superalloys for both static and rotating aerospace and land-based gas turbine applications. Our facilities are accredited to the most recent release of the rigorous Aerospace Standard, AS9100 Revision C.
Our Vacuum Induction Melting (VIM) furnace is SMC New Hartford's primary melting process. At 45,000 pounds capacity, our VIM furnace is among the largest in the world. In addition to servicing cast and wrought billet applications, we also produce premium-quality remelt alloys for powder applications.
SMC's wrought alloys are remelted in Electroslag Remelting (ESR) furnaces and/or Vacuum Arc Remelting (VAR) furnaces.
- Our VAR units are double station furnaces capable of melting ingots from 9-inch diameter by 1,000 pounds to 30-inch diameter by 20,000 pounds.
- ESR units capability range from 17-inch diameter by 4,000 pounds to 30-inch diameter by 30,000 lbs.
- All of the secondary melting furnaces have modern control systems, many of which were developed by Special Metals. As part of our commitment to continuous improvement and advancement of product quality, Special Metals continues to develop and implement new control technologies across all of our secondary melting furnaces.
- SMC is considered a world leader in melting technology; this leadership translates into lot-to-lot uniformity and the highest quality in all of our products.
SMC's billet conversion facility is located in Dunkirk, New York and is also accredited to AS9100 Revision C standards. In addition to servicing our New Hartford plant, Dunkirk participates actively in the toll conversion business. Billet surface conditioning, homogenization heat treatment of iron and nickel base alloys, and both open-die press forge conversion and rotary forge conversion of iron, nickel and titanium based materials is available.
SMC's bar mill consists of a 22-inch cog mill and a 16-inch rolling mill supported by preheat furnaces and intermediate conditioning equipment, as well as heat treating facilities that provide the capability for annealing and fully heat treating bar products.
SMC's cold finishing facility includes conditioning equipment for billet and bar surface preparation (ground or peeled). Billet and bar surfaces are finished to meet all varieties of customer specifications and inspection criteria.
Special Metals conducts a variety of non-destructive tests on our product including penetrant inspection and contact and immersion sonic inspection to ensure compliance to all of our customer specifications. Our C-scan immersion sonic inspection system for billet is among the newest in the world.
Laboratory Testing and Material Certification
Special Metals New Hartford maintains a full service, NADCAP and ISO 17025 accredited materials testing laboratory. In house testing capabilities include:
- Chemical Analysis: Spectrographic, atomic absorption and semi-quantitative analysis methods.
- Metallography: Fully-equipped metallographic preparation and sample evaluation laboratory.
- Mechanical Testing: Ambient and high-temperature tensile testing, stress rupture testing, creep testing, hardness testing on as-finished, heat-treated and/or roll down samples.
- Physical Properties: Differential thermal analysis for determination of solid state transformation temperatures.
- New Capabilities: The Special Metals laboratory is currently working toward accreditation of its newest addition of a Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometer for trace element testing. Full certification and transfer to production is planned for the first half of calendar year 2012.
Special Metals Corporation, New Hartford
4317 Middle Settlement Road
New Hartford, New York 13413-5392, USA
Toll-free in the USA: 1.800.334.8351